Sunday, February 14, 2010

First Trimester


"The decision to have a child is to accept that your heart will forever walk about outside your body." - Katherine Hadley

Jim and I both decided that we were ready to start a family and on October 2, 2009 I got the news that we were waiting for- a pregnancy! I had been working on a huge work project- our grand opening of IESI's new recycling facility- the first LEED certified recycling center in America!




















Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, thanks for the luck!















Didn't know quite yet...
When I took my first pregnancy test I noticed that it read positive immediately, instead of taking the usual 3 minutes. I looked online to see what that meant and the most common answer that I found was "twins and a lot of hormones to support them!" It was just an internet answer so I didn't take it too seriously and it was not the first time that the word 'twins' came up in our house...we have always talked about having twins because Jim's mother's side of the family is filled with them!

Finding out that we were expecting was great- both of us were in shock and so happy at the same time. In fact I was in shock and called him at work to tell him the news without even thinking about it!

Our first appointment was really early- I was only five and a half weeks along. Everything looked good so far- there was one early heartbeat, but it was really too early to see much more than that. I do remember specifically asking my doctor, "are you sure that it's one baby?" and she said YES, she was positive...

First sonogram- 10/14/09
















Next appointment was one that I will always remember. The sonogram showed two babies this time- little baby A and little baby B!! I got this news by hearing "wow there's two in there"
The doctor confirmed that I was having twins- fraternal twins- she suspected. Wow, what great news! I decided not to give Jim a heart attack by calling him at work and let him know when he got home. He was in shock for a good 24 hours....

That night we also got to deal with a wasps nest that had developed in our fireplace. We started a fire, let the nest drop in and sprayed any escaped wasps with 409 until they died. What a day...
Luckily, this turned out OK, but in retrospect this wasn't really our best decision. It would have been really great if we had to leave the house to the new wasp owners....

















First time A & B were on our sonogram! October 26, 2009

We spent Halloween weekend in Austin with my family, we weren't quite ready to tell the world our news yet, but we had a good time there. My mom told us about the technology that was around when she had me- pregnancy tests had just started being available in grocery stores for $50 each! Sonograms were really not used unless something was wrong and the picture wasn't great anyway. She also didn't know if I was going to be a boy or girl until I was born- I would have been Eric and my sister would have been Matthew, funny to think about! I love being able to see the babies, thank God for technology ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment