Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway - John Wayne
Yesterday was my last day in the hospital. It was a really hard day because we had to leave the boys in the NICU. I know it is the best place for them, but I hate that they are not with us. I got these flowers from my parents when I got home, flowers are good for cheering up.For now, we get to do kangaroo care once a day with the boys, we'll be able to do more later. We get to hold them skin to skin during one of their feedings for about an hour to an hour and a half. Our bodies regulate to heat up or cool down based on the babies' temperature, pretty amazing. This is the best part of the day. The boys love it and usually lay completely still and sleep like...well...babies. Even though I got to hold them earlier in the day they let us each hold one last night because we were leaving the hospital. Most of the day the boys are in the covered incubators so they are in an environment most like the womb. At 9, 12, 3, 6 round the clock they get their diapers changed, temperatures taken and fed. Those are their 'touch times.' This keeps them from being overstimulated, just like being in the womb. When I hold them I will drink water, talk or laugh and it doesn't bother them at all, probably because it feels like they are in me!
Dad and Alex, Mom and Nate 4/8/2010


No comments:
Post a Comment