Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A good 48 hours

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irrational or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, Love never ends...So faith, hope and love abide, these three, but the greatest of all these things is love. Make love your aim." (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8, 13-14, 14:1)

It's been 48 hours since Alex's surgery and all of his tests and x-rays have looked really good. They are checking to make sure that he isn't showing signs of fighting infection. All of his levels look good, he's still on a respirator just to give his body time to heal but it's on the lowest level of oxygen. They want to get him off the respirator gradually because he doesn't seem to need it. His little incision is tiny on his tummy so hopefully it will heal up well. And chicks dig scars. Alex has been really tough to get through all of this. He's been on pain medication and pretty zonked out but we can sit by his bed and hold his hand. I don't want him to feel abandoned. Hopefully we will be able to hold him again soon.

Nate has been a little superstar trying to outdo his brother. He is getting more milk every day and his lungs and breathing look really good. In a few weeks they will start letting him practice with bottle feeding. For preemie babies this coordination of sucking, breathing and swallowing at the same time is a big milestone. He opens his eyes and smiles at us now when we get to hold him. When he hears someone walk by he rolls his eyes up to see if someone is coming. They are definitely going to be used to lots of noise when they sleep! I'm going to need to buy some sound machines soon.





























I had my first follow up appointment with my doctor yesterday. Dr. Pepperell changed my pain medication because I've been having an allergic reaction to the codeine in my pain medication that I've been taking for a week now...I have a rash and hives covering most of my body (awesome). This should get better in the next day, seriously, it's worse than 10 c-sections. It also must have been what was causing my extreme dry mouth because it's gone away now. Dr. Pepperell said that I should be using a wheel chair for a few weeks and not be on my feet so much, yea right! I guess I'll just have to get used to cankles....

Erica has provided every good meal that Jim and I have had lately :) She's also my favorite therapist for the million feelings I've had lately. I think she put it best by saying that you have 9 months of hormones that build up and are released in 2 weeks after delivery. We've had a lot of good support through this time and we appreciate everyone!
The changing table is in the nursery now! It looks fantastic. The baby room is almost complete.




























2 comments:

Erica said...

Such great pictures of Nate and Alex! And the room is so cute. Can you decorate my house? I'm sure you have a some free time! LOL! So glad they are little fighters, doesn't surprise me at all!

Jessica said...

Eliz, I'm so happy they're doing so well! I have been thinking about you guys non-stop! Keep up the good work, and thank goodness they have you on some different meds now. Love the pictures, and I can't wait to meet those tough boys!

Post a Comment