Friday, May 7, 2010

1 month birthday letter

Dear Alex and Nate,

Happy birthday to my miracle babies!! You are already over 1 month old! A few weeks ago I would have never expected you to be doing this well! The doctors have even mentioned the illusive 'H' word....they think you're well on your way to going home. We can't wait to have you all to ourselves.

Your dad and I love you so much. We have loved each other for over 10 years now and have always talked about having a baby. We've joked about having twins because of all the twins on your dad's side of the family- it doesn't work that way, identical twins are not hereditary they 'just happen' and look what we got! God gave us two perfect babies when he knew we were ready for you! It probably could have been a few years ago but we wanted you to have everything in the world and it would be selfish for us to bring a baby into the world without thinking of the responsibility that we would need to take. I love looking at the entries from my pregnancy and knowing how loved you were before you were even here! It was one of the best times of my life, even when it was scary. I love your gifts and cards and well wishes from so many people who love you already. I want you to know that you have always been loved and wanted. You will always come first to us.

I am so protective over you and I want to be the only one that holds you all the time. If this feeling doesn't go away by the time you're twelve I might work on it. I can't believe that one day I'll be so mad that your rooms are a mess or you've spray painted the dog. I can't imagine all the trouble you're bound to get in but right now every time you cry I want to come and save you. I can't wait to see the differences in your personalities. You are so identical, you even needed matching scars! One day Alex might sneeze three times in a row, or Nate might stretch his arms and the next day the other will be doing the same thing! I know you'll both have unique differences and I can't wait to learn them. At least one of you needs to love sports for daddy. I can't wait to teach you all the important things that you'll need to know. I want you to be respectful, smart, kind, ambitious, cultured and know how to dress well. I look at your tiny hands and think about them driving a car or holding the hand of your future girlfriend or holding your own children one day. I want you to love each other and be best friends. Family is so important and you will always have each other, even when we are gone. I hope this is easy for you because life is a lot more difficult without a close family.

Your mom and dad think about you all the time! We are so blessed to have you. Another baby in the NICU was born at 23 weeks and has already had heart surgery and surgery on her intestines. It seems strange to feel lucky after all that you have been through but we really are. We are so lucky for being able to have you. You're already way more tough than your mom. Dad says that you have 3 months to get away with anything and after that it's discipline time, we'll see! Love you both!

XOXO, Mommy

5/7/2010

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my word..leave it to you to make me cry on my birthday! This letter is so sweet and heartfelt-thanks for sharing your feelings with us. You're right-those boys are so loved and so lucky to have you and Jim as parents. I can't wait to share the journey with you guys-it's going to be SO fun and a little crazy!

Erica said...

This is the sweetest letter ever! It made me tear up too! The boys will cherish this letter when they get older. You're such a great mom, they're so lucky to have you and Jim as parents!

Post a Comment